301 E. Second Street
Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Contact: Bobbi Erlston, Administrative Assistant
Phone: (570) 784-7123, ext. 215
Fax: (570) 784-1518
Sylvia Costa, Chair (Term expires: 12/31/23)
Virginia Thorne (Term expires: 12/31/21)
Lauren Strausser (Term expires: 12/31/19)
John Hintz (Term expires: 12/31/22)
Pamela Donovan (Term expires: 12/31/20)
Meetings are held the third Thursday of each month at 3:30 p.m. at Town Hall on the second floor. Please contact Bobbi prior to attending.
REGULATIONS TO KNOW:
The Shade Tree Ordinance requires property owners to plant and maintain street trees in the right of way (Chapter 25 of the Code of Ordinances).
Property owners’ responsibilities include keeping their street trees healthy, removing sick or dead ones, and replacing any they remove with appropriate size and species. These regulations also apply during construction and sidewalk replacement.
Planting, pruning, removing or cutting a street tree requires a free permit, available at the Town Hall or below. A permit is required if trees will be affected by construction and if roots will be disturbed for pipe or sidewalk work. Once your application is received at Town Hall, Commission Members will make their determination within seven days.
Street trees must be chosen from among the tree species approved for use as street trees in Bloomsburg. The list of trees approved for Downtown is more limited than the list for residential streets. (You can plant whatever tree you like in your yard.)
- Shade Tree Permit Application (PDF) – fill out and return to Bobbi Erlston at Town Hall
- Shade Tree Ordinance
- Approved List of Trees Suitable for Street Planting (PDF)
- Pruning Landscape Trees Brochure (PDF)
- Planting and After Care of Community Trees Brochure (PDF)
- A Guide to Preserving Trees in Development Projects (PDF)
- 5 Reasons to STOP Topping Trees (PDF)
- Tree Owner’s Manual (PDF)
- ANIS A300 Pruning (PDF)
- National Tree Benefit Calculator
- i-Tree Design
- Call 8-1-1 Before You Dig!
- Tree Care Tips
- PA Trees – The place to learn about Pennsylvania’s trees, how to care for them and tap into tree expertise across the Commonwealth
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)
- Pennsylvania Community Forests
- PA DCNR Forestry
- Penn State Cooperative Extension
- Penn State Woody Ornamental Pest Guide
- Cornell Urban Horticulture Institute
- USDA Forest Service Urban Forestry
- Trees Are Good
- PA BIG Tree
- Teach Children About Trees