BUY FLOOD INSURANCE— Any house in Bloomsburg can be covered by a flood insurance policy. Detached garages and ac-cessory buildings are covered under the policy for the lot’s main building. Any agent can sell a policy and all agents must charge the same rates. “Get a flood insurance policy— it will help pay for repairs after a flood and in some cases it will help pay the costs of elevating a substantially damaged building”
ANYONE CAN PURCHASE FLOOD INSURANCE — RENTERS CAN BUY CONTENTS COVERAGE EVEN IF THE OWNER DOES NOT BUY STRUCTURAL COVERAGE
*Typically, there’s a 30 day waiting period from date of purchase before you policy goes into effect.*
Did you know ?
- Floods are the nation’s most common and costly natural disaster, causing billons of dollars in damage each year.
- Homeowners and renters insurance does not typically cover flood damage.
- Floods can happen anywhere. In fact, 98 percent of counties in the United States have ex-perienced a flood and more than 20 percent of flood claim come from properties outside the high–risk flood zone.
*JUST 1 INCH OF WATER CAN CAUSE $25,000 OF DAMAGE TO YOUR HOME*
PROPERTY PROTECTION MEASURES — in order to reduce flood losses, businesses and residents can take the following precautions:
1) Organize inventory for speedy removal to higher locations within a facility or off–site.
2) Install closures to prevent water backups through drains.
3) Elevate buildings above flood levels
4) Relocate furnaces and electrical panels to higher floors.
This message is part of the Town of Bloomsburg‘s Flood Task Force Outreach Information. Bloomsburg participates in FEMAs CRS program and all federally backed insurance policies are offered at a discounted rate.