The birth of the Bloomsburg airport, like so many innovations in the 1920s, was born out of necessity. Even though no airport existed in Bloomsburg at the time, the first commercial flight for business purposes here was made on March 17, 1929 when two Philadelphia carpet designers landed in a farm field to meet with executives from the Magee Carpet Company. After concluding business, the pair were back in the air for a one-hour flight home to Philly. Clearly, a transaction that could have taken days was accomplished within a few hours thanks to aviation. It was obvious to an enterprising Harry Magee that an airport would be an economic benefit to the town of Bloomsburg.
In the 89 years since, the Bloomsburg airport has proven time and again to be an asset not just to the town but to communities far and wide as well as the nation.
Since space does not allow for a detailed accounting of all the historical facts about the airport, this brief review will highlight the most significant historical points.
Please click this link to read the rest of the history.